Ice, Ice Baby
You whirl it into smoothies and use it to cool down drinks on a hot summer day, but did you know ice can also boost metabolism, relieve pain and tighten your skin? If you’ve ever applied an ice pack to a sprained ankle (or to your head after one too many margaritas) and felt the relief, imagine cooling down your entire body the same way. Only instead of an ice pack, you’re put into a chamber with nitrogen, which brings temps down to a chilly minus 270 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brrrrr with health benefits
It may sound as if you’d freeze instantly, but Dr. Alan Christianson, NMD, owner of Integrative Health and co-author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Thyroid Disease says “many describe the sensation of whole-body cryotherapy (WBC) to standing in front of an open freezer door.” So if you’ve ever stood in front of the freezer spooning Ben & Jerry’s right out of the container after a bad date, you know the feeling.
Christianson says the benefits of cryotherapy include:
- Pain relief from tendinitis, fibromyalgia, arthritis and migraines
- Improved athletic performance by enhancing muscle endurance, increasing speed and strength, and speeding recovery
- Increased metabolism and more calories burned
- Increased energy
- Improved skin, reduced cellulite and more elastic skin, treatment for dermatitis and psoriasis and repaired tissue
- Enhanced endorphins, which improve depth of sleep, and relieve stress and depression
Full Article HERE